Monday, October 2, 2006

all these years

I didn't pay much attention in the obligatory history classes of my high school or college days. I used to think it just wasn't my thing and largely I don't think it is my thing but welcome the two church history classes I've had with Dr. Feldmeth and I think history is just delightful and most necessary. It's changed the way I've thought about faith and really just opened my eyes to see the power of a few decisions through the thoughts and actions of people continue to shape our lives today. It is fascinating.

The little tid bit that really isn't profound but one of those ignorances that is now disspelled in my head. Pilgrims were just a part of the population of people who came over to New England. They were a specific group of Puritans among other groups of Puritans. Pilgrims were seperatist congregationalist who settled at Plymouth. They took off from Plymouth, England and founded Plymouth, New England. Them be all the Pilgrims in America.

With the miraculous defeat of the Spanish Armada in 1588, England picked up the notion that it was a chosen people much like the Old Testament people of Israel. There was no possible way they could have defeated the Spanish army and so it was only by the reality that there were a chosen people of God that they were saved. Fast foward to the Puritans coming to America and this notion came with them. The Puritans were a remnant of this new chosen people and thus America was founded with that type of idealism and notion of God's blessing. Politicians who weren't even religious used expessions of God's blessing on America, etc. I don't think much has changed in that regard. I don't think it was good then and I don't think it is good now. Okay, I'll stop. :) Anyway, love this history stuff. My worldview is opened and I realize how ignorant I've been.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! You are a blogging machine. I love it!

    I do enjoy history quite a bit. I would love to take history classes just for the fun of it.

    Hope you have a good week!

    ReplyDelete