We learned about and practiced attending behavior in my Clinical Foundations class and lab this week. Attending behavior is what you do as a therapist to encourage talking and sometimes not encourage talking on say issues that are destructive or nonproductive. The categories of attending behavior are visual/eye contact, vocal qualities, verbal tracking and attentive/authentic body language. In my triad of role playing, I was observer, therapist and client. We first practiced bad attending behavior which was quite hilarious them moved onto the good stuff. Jill, Rachel and I were even observed by our Clinical Foundations TA and we all did quite well! I really can't wait to learn more good therapist "behaviors" and see clients. I love that I have no hesistancy in pursuing this career. It's a great feeling.
I also had Legal & Ethical Issues in MFT. We didn't get into too much content with the obligatory syllabus review, etc. but my reading has been good. It talked about we cannot be unbiased in our therapy. We come with values and our clients comes with values and the differing of those is the obstacle to overcome in a therapeutic relationship where if you go unchecked you could putting your values on another, etc. I've also dived into a chapter on some of the codes and ethics in the broad field of psychology from social worker to psychologist. Fun, fun!
So far I am enjoying it all! Throw in a little American Church History where we are all about the Puritans and their journey to the New World and I feel like a new woman!! I love learning and I love this career I'm headed toward! Yipee!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment