Friday, March 2, 2007

GREAT interview and GREAT site

Today was my last interview in this whole practicum site process. As I mentioned in a previous post, next week is practicum site notification week. Monday through Wednesday we should receive our offers and then by Thursday we communicate to THE site our acceptance of their offer. I am really look forward to having another piece of the puzzle place in this process of being a psychotherapist.

Today was Pasadena Mental Health Center. This is by far my top site to date. I think it encompasses all the things that I am looking for in a practicum site. It has been an anxiety provoking task to try to nail down exactly what I want in a practicum site knowing that there probably isn't really a bad decision. This site is a community based program that serves Pasadena. The population is diverse as is Pasadena and most clients are working class ranging in income from low to mid income. They make too much to qualify for MediCal but often their jobs don't offer health insurance or their health insurance is inadequate to cover mental health services. It is a private facility so all clients are self-referred. The supervision is excellent and the training is great. You hold a client load that is at minimum 6-7 clients and they also encourage you to participate in one of their school based program or their first offender program. Oh, and you'd also have one hour of client intake where you are answering the phone and doing initial assessment to either refer them on or to arrange a fee and set them up for being contacted by a therapist. All in all it is a great well-rounded program offering a variety of training, group supervision by case presentation and individual superivision with supervisors who specialize in all different modalities. Can you tell that I am so excited? It would be hard work to be a part of the team at Pasadena Mental Health Center but I am excited about the type of clincians I'd be at the end of my time there.

The interview today was a group interview. We had about 10 people in our group interview. I tried my best to answer the questions differently than my peers and to make myself stand out. I thought I did good but I wasn't ready for the reaction my fellow classmate Michelle gave me as we left the interview. She said first that she was glad to see me in action being that it was the first group interview we had been in together. Then she proceeded to tell me that I nailed the interview. She said that Eden, the Clinical Director and interviewer, had a "glazed eyes face", a "I'm interested, I'm listening face" and then the "Zoey" face which from Michelle's impersonation made me feel good. She said I stood out amongst everyone else and that she said that I could be 98% sure to be offered a placement at Pasadena Mental Health. I was overwhelmed by Michelle's response to which she wanted me to know she wasn't just saying it or blowing smoke. Michelle is one of those people who tells it like it is and when it's a good thing, you feel great and trust her feedback.

So, coupled with my already excitement for the site through the Q&A part of the interview and then with Michelle's feedback, I am super excited that this might be the site that I will end up being at for the next year. Eden hopes to let us know on Monday and I do hope that it is a reality that I get a call. I'll be disappointed if I don't get Pasadena Mental Health. I might be sad or even angry but there are other great sites as well. Oh, I hope it is Pasadena Mental Health!

So, I covet your prayers for this opportunity as well as all the details of what it means to work 20+ hours (for no pay) at a practicum site and go to school... and what to do with the GREAT job I have at the school (that does pay). I'm just trusting in the Good Lord to work this out especially as James and I still eagerly anticipate our wedding and our new life together. I know it will work out as I know that being a therapist is something I feel more and more passionate about as being what I was created to do. It's just STRESS to think about money especially when you're also beating yourself up about how you've spent money in the past! Money that could make this STRESS go away. Oh well, I still have A LOT to be thankful for and A LOT that many others don't have so I know it'll work out. It's a year of my life. A great year with so many exciting things to come!

Stay tuned for posts of the minute by minutes of practicum decision week.

Blessings!

1 comment:

  1. I see you've responded quite nicely to mine and another's request (hounding) for an update! Very good. Now we know that hounding works! ;)

    I hope you get the Pasadena Mental Health Center, too! (Fingers Crossed) (Should that have been hands clasped in prayer, instead?)

    Love you, babe!

    ReplyDelete