Friday, September 5, 2008

dread realized

All I could think of as I was waiting 1 1/2 hours for the transportation company to come pick us up from the doctor's office was a cold, stiff drink. The strong one this afternoon was certainly the MIL. I was near meltdown and I'll tell you why...

At 12:45pm, I started my preparations to take my MIL to the hospital for her follow-up appointment with her doctor. Got an extra diaper, wipes, pajama and vomit receptacle. I had my list of questions and her Kaiser card and ID. I was set to go. I successfully got her into her wheel chair using the Hoyer lift and almost comfortable. The butterflies in my stomach subsided at this point. The transportation company came on time and we were off. We got to the hospital, got checked in and into the doctor's office in decent doctor's off time. The appointment went well and I got all my questions answered, etc. Jane really didn't even have to be there. He all of listened to her lungs. Seriously that was it. Oh, the nurse took her blood pressure. Anyway, we did it and it was over. Then I called the transportation company to say, "Pick us up!" We'll be there in 30 minutes, they said. After 40 minutes, I called again. They are on the 10 freeway and it'll be another 10 minutes. So, when I called 25 minutes after that and then waited another 30 when they told me there were only a mile away...let's just say that I was a bit frustrated. Jane was good but I was near meltdown. Apparently, MTrans doesn't know that I don't have any nerves left! Finally after my MIL had been in the wheelchair about 3 hours and 45 minutes (her range is about 15 minutes to 1 hour!), they arrived. I was relieved to know we were about 10 minutes from being hope but then my MIL got a bit clamy and sure enough vomit-city was going to come upon us again. Thankfully, it subsided and we got home. James was home at the time so that helped to have him take over at that point.

We got her in bed and she was out (like asleep). I'm sure that I'll follow soon after I've had some grub and that stiff one I talked about.

The good news...for my nerves especially...is that we've hired a live-in caregiver. She's competent, affordable, great references and will be a huge help to James and I in having some time for ourselves. She'll provide Jane with great care. I hope it works out in the long term. We are interviewing someone tomorrow for interim weekend work. It looks like things are coming together. The new cynical side of me hesitates but the usual optimistic side wants to come out and say that this will all work out.

1 comment: