As I am relaxing after a long day of care taking and a couple of interviews for caretakers, James calls me from his mom's room in a panic. As I round the corner I hear him saying, "Are you going to throw up, Mom?" I tell James to put his mom up but at that point she is already starting to vomit and as history repeats itself James is starting to look a bit faint as well. James sits down and his eyes start going and I pull the MIL up to a seated position. There is this thing that we've heard a million times since the MIL had a stroke... aspiration. Aspiration is when one throws up inside themselves. It can lead to pneumonia and pneumonia and its complications can lead to no good things like death. When you can't control one side of your body, it is hard to prompt yourself up so that you project out. Now you know why I am pulling my MIL up in a forceful fashion to a seated position. As I am cleaning up the MIL, James is getting up only to really not feel good and I'm seeing his eye balls start to roll again. Fortunately, he can lay down, put his feet up and recover from nearly passing out again.
I return to the coach exhausted emotionally, physically and mentally and my nerves shot again.
I'm so glad tomorrow that I have to get my MIL in a wheelchair and take her to the doctor's office all on my own. I'm already visually the relief I will feel when the transportation company drop us off and she is back in bed. The bright side is I only have my MIL to deal with if she gets rattled as opposed to the MIL and my weak stomach husband to manage.
Hole? Where is the hole I want to crawl in? My nerves need a break.
On the bright side, we interview someone tonight who is experienced, affordable, pleasant, a self-starter and wants to start immediately. She can start and we won't have much to train her on other than where she can find stuff. If he references check out, we'll be good to go and my nerves might have a chance to recover after all. We can only hope.
Thursday, September 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Omigosh! I hope it works out. I'll shoot up a prayer or two (or a dozen!)
ReplyDelete