As some of you may already be aware, my mother-in-law Jane, suffered a large stroke on Monday night. She is at Kaiser Baldwin Park in the Step Down Unit. She is stable and we have to wait a few more days for the swelling to go down in her brain to know what we are up against. She was the most alert we had seen her tonight. She fights the blood pressure cuff and the nurses poking at her. She is a retired nurse and they say that nurses makes the worst patients! Her stubborn and fighting spirit are intact in this one and for that we are thankful. She is responsive to people talking to her and especially responsive to James. She is unable to talk and has no movement on her right hand side (stroke was in left side of brain) yet she is breathing on her own and all vitals have generally been good. James and I spent all last night and today with her and are at home tonight to get some much needed rest. We'll go back tomorrow when she'll have more tests and we hope be even more alert and gain some function back.
As you can imagine, my husband is in great turmoil. He feels guilty and responsible and just desperately doesn't want to lose his mom. He is being as strong as he can but we've shared countless cries and prayers together over the past 24 hours. He also was the one to find her at her home, conscious but unable to move. This traumatic event has been a constant image in his mind.
My prayer requests are as follows:
*Healing for Jane
*Wisdom the doctors and wisdom for James and I as we make decisions for Jane's care
*Strength for James and I and our marriage... that we would be a team and remain strong and gentle to each other
*That James and I would take care of ourselves so we can be the best for Jane
*Mercy as I complete the last quarter of my graduate education and finish up seeing clients at my practicum site
Your prayers in this direction would be great.
I'll keep you updated as I can.
Tuesday, April 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment